Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Mothers . . .

1. I've always been a "daddy's girl," but over the past several years I've become rather close with my mother. She's a hero to me. As I've mentioned several times in the past, my father has been slowly withering away as a result of Parkinson's Disease, and my mother has become his caretaker. Once a career woman, she retired early to take care of him full-time, as she would not stand for a nurse in the house at all hours of the day and night. She bought a smaller house that was wheelchair accessible. She traded her sports car in for a clunky old van that had been modified with a wheelchair lift. With all of this added stress, she still finds time for herself, and to visit friends and maintain relationships with colleagues.

Today is my father's 69th birthday, and my mother threw him a surprise birthday party. She realizes at this point in their lives, family and memories are most meaningful. What is another shirt or tie that will only be worn for a few years when happy memories can be locked into our minds forever?

With all that my mother is forced to do on a daily basis to care for my father, she still found the time to surprise him with a birthday party that he'll remember forever. I call that love and dedication.


2. I learned today that a friend of mine is pregnant, and will be a mother to her first child this winter. Lately I've been feeling doubtful of other friends sharing similar news with me, mainly because they appear to be getting pregnant for only one reason: age. They feel if they don't bare a child before a certain age, they've failed in life. The friend who made her announcement today seems to be at a wonderful stage in life, not rushing into anything, just accepting whatever comes her way. She's been married for over 5 years; she's traveled around the globe; she knows exactly what she wants in life, and the news of her pregnancy was the perfect way to enhance it. I'm really, really excited for her, and it gives me hope that one day in the future my own dreams will fall into place whenever the time is right.

1 comment:

indyheart said...

For a second there I wanted to push the "like" button, as on FB.
But this is such a wonderful blog about your mom and letting things "fall as they may." :D I wish more people in the world had your attitude. :)