Sunday, July 11, 2010

I wanted to go bicycling this afternoon, and although it's sunny outside, the sky keeps pouring rain on and off. Ugh.

So, I'm here.

I had a lovely weekend. It started off with a free outdoor concert in Prospect Park with a friend of mine who made the evening even more delicious by bringing wine and cheese. Eventually Willy showed up at my door later in the evening. Saturday involved roaming through Park Slope, checking out a new exhibition at the Brooklyn Museum, and finally catching a movie.

Then I fucked it up.

For the past year, I've finally started to feel mentally ready to have a baby (obviously not financially ready, however). Now that two friends of mine have gotten pregnant in the past year, I've been contemplating the idea myself for the first time: do I want a baby for the right reasons? Am I only interested in babies suddenly because my "biological clock" is ticking, or do I have other more significant personal reasons for this yearning? What are "bad" reasons for wanting a kid? What about "good" reasons? Since I've been thinking this over in my head lately, I decided to bring it up at breakfast this morning with Willy. Maybe I didn't approach it the right way, but I'm afraid the conversation ended on a sour note.

I realize I have a tendency to spew out whatever thoughts come into my head, and I fail to process those thoughts in a meaningful manner - i.e. most of the time, I don't even realize what I'm thinking until after I've spouted words out of my mouth. This isn't always a good thing. Sometimes it's necessary to think your words over, develop an appropriate approach and then discuss the thoughts in the open. Not the other way around. Oh well.