Monday, June 14, 2010

Exactly ten years ago, I was starting my third museum internship. This was also the summer between undergrad and grad school, so I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted to do with my life other than to work in a museum in some capacity. However, by the end of that third internship, I realized exactly what career goals I wanted to pursue. Today, ten years later, I'm doing what I set out to do. Of course, this wasn't easy to accomplish. I encountered many, many roadblocks and once in a while got thrown off the path, but I'm here now and I'm loving it. I never considered the fact that one day I might have my own intern working under my direction. Today was her first day, and she is much in the same position as I was ten years ago. I hope to provide her with the tools and resources she needs to pursue her own goals, maybe help her to refine them. It's going to be an exciting summer for both of us, and I'm looking forward to seeing what we'll both accomplish.

I don't know about other career paths, but at least in the museum profession, student internships are among the most important experiences you can have in order to land a decent entry-level position after graduation. Relevant coursework is obviously imperative, but all museum positions require some sort of work experience before you can even manage to budge your foot in the door. It wasn't until I completed 6 internships that I finally broke through into my first full-time, entry-level museum position. Even after that, I was still riding on a bumpy road. It might always be that way, but I honestly cannot imagine working in any other profession. I'm not sure how idealistic my intern is, but I suppose she'll learn the reality of non-profit museum work at some point. If she's passionate and determined enough, I know she'll succeed. It just takes time and patience . . . and time and patience.

How about you? Did it take several trials and tribulations for you to reach your career goals, or were you one of the lucky few to stumble into success?

2 comments:

Sephalopia said...

I still haven't gotten there - but I also haven't given up.

I went from an internship in my field to a "research assistant" position with a fairly prominent psychologist (who then asked me to pick up his laundry and do his grocery shopping). I left that job and landed in something entirely unrelated to the Masters degree I'm working so hard to pay for.

Can't say I'm super excited with the progression of things, but I'm glad to have work and I see all of this stuff as lessons and personal growth opportunity.

Hopefully someday I'll find the right job.

[After thought: When I was a sophomore in high school, my parents friend - who swears she psychic - told me I'd have three jobs before I found my career. Maybe she was right. Does that mean I still have one more flop after this one before I land the career or do you think I can count the unpaid internship? :) ]

Bloomergrrl said...

I think the unpaid internship totally counts!