Sunday, November 7, 2010

My Mom just flew back to Chicago after spending a long weekend with me in NYC. Although I've lived here for nearly 3 years, this was her visit to see me. I realize she's been bogged down for the past 4 years as my Dad's care giver, but I was on the verge of feeling resentful. This weekend was the best gift she could possibly give me, and also give herself, since she too needed a vacation after all this time.

She arrived Thursday afternoon and spent the night at my apartment in Brooklyn. On Friday, she came to work with me, so I could show her around the museum and take her out for lunch, but then she came back and ended up exploring more exhibits until around 3:00pm. I met her at our hotel in Midtown after work, where we grabbed some Spanish tapas for dinner and then saw "American Idiot" on Broadway.

Saturday was pretty much a marathon of activity. We started the day at MoMA, then the American Folk Art Museum, and then headed down to Chinatown for a bit before hitting Union Square and finally going back up to Times Square.

My Mom left this morning after breakfast, so it was a short trip but definitely packed and enjoyable. I don't know if she'll be able to visit me in NYC again, but I'm so happy she was able to come when she did, so I could at least share with her a little piece of my life at this moment.

No comments: