Sunday, August 1, 2010

Wow, it's been quite a while since my last post. I went back home last week and had a lovely time (aside from the terrible flood caused by an overnight storm). I also spent some time with Lahrin, which was really great. Talking through some issues with her really helped to clear my head, so if you're reading this, thanks. :)

Over the past few days I've had some rather interesting confrontations with random people who have misidentified me in completely different ways:

1. This past weekend I went to Otakon with Willy - had a blast and spent way too much money on things I really don't need, but whatever. Anyway, when I approached the front desk at the registration booth to pick up my 18+ wristband, the guy asked me which anime character I was dressed as. I hadn't even dressed in costume! I was wearing my typical street clothes and told him this. He was completely embarrassed and kept apologizing. Of course, now I'm wondering exactly how cartoonish I look on a daily basis.

2. While walking down the street earlier this afternoon, I heard some kid yelling, "Zach" as he approached me from behind. Suddenly he grabbed my shoulder and yelled, "Yo, Zach! Are you coming?" I turned around to see a teenage boy staring at me, who then turned bright red and started apologizing for mistaking me as his friend, Zach. Come on now! I realize I have a shorter haircut these days and wear men's boots, but I really don't know how anyone can mistake me for a teenage boy. Oh well, it's a good thing I don't see much value in the gender binary. I still found the experience quite interesting though.

No comments: