Adventures in bicycle shopping . . .
I've been researching Trek hybrid bicycles and saving up my money since February to purchase a new one on time for the summer. I finally decided on the model that seemed most practical for me - the FX series, which is perfect for my daily commute to work as well as exploring the trails surrounding the 5-boroughs.
Last week I found a Trek store just a few blocks away from my apartment that had the very model I wanted in stock, but on my walk from the subway to work this morning, I happened to find another store that had the exact bicycle in the window display. After work I quickly called to cancel my order at the more convenient store location and purchased the bike near my work. Yes, this meant test-riding a bike through the thick of Times Square! I'll admit this was an awful idea, but it really brought me back to my Chicago biking days (anyone who has ridden a bike down Wells Street during the morning rush hour can compare it to Times Square on any afternoon, kind of). Anyway, I ended up falling in love with my new bike, which I named Persephone. She's a beautiful silver men's bike, but that's cool with me.
Since I wasn't prepared to ride a bike home from the middle of Manhattan, I took the river path about 7 miles south, where I then hopped on the R train (hurray for light bikes that I can actually carry up and down stairs without giving myself a heart attack). While I was waiting for the train, this guy started checking out my bike, and then he came over to talk to me. Apparently he worked for Trek for a while and is now working in bicycle advertisement or something. We got on the train together and continued our conversation. Apparently he worked with my museum to develop some sort of advertising partnership and knows quite a few people I work with regularly. To make things even weirder, he noticed my Amanda Palmer button -- he went to college in Boston with her, and worked in an ice cream parlor with her and Brian Viglione!!! How awesome is that?! Anyway, we talked some more, and he got off the train a few stops before me. He gave me his card, but I'm not quite sure why. If this dude was trying to pick me up, I guess I'm flattered. But, I really don't get New Yorkers and have to assume that they're mostly assholes. I mean, it's not like a New Yorker to strike up a conversation with a complete stranger. Weird.
Today I also discovered there are 2 other folks at the museum who regularly bike to work. They're trying to form some sort of bike club, which I think sounds like fun and something I'll definitely have to look into.
Yay bikey!!!
2 comments:
Maybe he was actually a friendly new yorker? or new york transplant? I dunno Joe does that a lot-- strike up a conversation and then give people his card because he thinks they're cool and wants them to have his contact info. I dunno...
Hey, sweetie!
Yeah, the trip to New York was definitely rushed and hectic, and while we did have a little time to do a few things, it wasn't much.
However, Dylan and I loved it, and we want to visit New York again. Not sure when that might happen, but I'd love to see you ...
Yay for bikes! I need to start riding mine again, even just around the park a little. (I work at a grocery store and do not have baskets or anything on my bike. I don't ride it to work because I usually pick up a few things after work, and then where would I put them?)
Post a Comment